Animal Defenders International (ADI) works to end the suffering of animals in captivity and protect wild animals and their environments. For over 20 years, we have rescued hundreds of animals from circuses all over the world, and relocated them to sanctuaries.
We receive calls every week from governments, animal protection groups and the public, asking for help with animals in desperate need. After decades of funding animal care in sanctuaries around the world, we decided to build our own sanctuary to enable us to do more and save more animals.
A safe haven for animals who have suffered lifelong pain, fear, and distress, the location of the new ADI Wildlife Sanctuary in South Africa is ideal for species such as lions, commonly found in circuses.
The ADI Wildlife Sanctuary provides:
- A peaceful, secure home for life for rescued animals, in a natural habitat, inside two layers of high-security perimeter fences and a third security barrier around their habitats
- Strategic support to governments wanting to seize illegal animals, but with nowhere to place them – we facilitate rescues that shut down entire cruel industries
- Effective enforcement of animal protection laws worldwide
- A place of loving kindness for animals, peace, dignity, love and respect
- Rescued animals have a life as close as possible to what nature intended
- Encouragement to individuals and communities to take action, by showing we can change the world for abused animals
- Education about the needs of other species, their place on our shared planet, how we can protect other species as well as the future for humans