The ADI Wildlife Sanctuary exists because of the wonderful support of people like you, who make it possible for us to provide the ongoing care that our rescued animals need and save others who are in need of our urgent help.
Here are just the some ways you can get involved and support our life-saving work:
Volunteer program: ADI Wildlife Sanctuary in South Africa
Working to end the suffering of animals in captivity and protect wild animals and their environments, Animal Defenders International collaborates with governments to conduct large-scale seizures of captive wild animals, relocating them to forever homes and back to their natural habitats where possible.
The ADI Wildlife Sanctuary has been established to provide a permanent home to rescued animals from entertainment, wildlife trade and exploitation. The life experiences of these animals teach understanding of animals and wildlife preservation.
Help care for our rescued animals
Through our volunteer program you can help the ADI Wildlife Sanctuary teams with the day-to-day care of our animals. The work will include assisting with feeding, cleaning enclosures, enrichment, and general maintenance tasks as instructed.
Placements are for a minimum of one month (preferred 3-4 months) with costs starting from $1,500 (£1,175) which includes training, accommodation, meals, and airport transfers in South Africa. Not included, and to be covered by volunteers: flights, visa, vaccinations, insurance, personal expenses.
How to apply
To find out more and request an application pack please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Note. Volunteers will be expected to follow ADI Wildlife Sanctuary protocols in place to safeguard the welfare of the animals and the sanctuary teams, any breach resulting in termination of the placement.
Our “Most Wanted” list
As a new sanctuary there are lots of things we need to help with the day-to-day running of the sanctuary. If you, or your place of work, can contribute towards one or more of the following, we would love to hear from you! Contact us here.
- 4×4 vehicle for work around the sanctuary and collecting supplies/volunteers: R294,000 / $21,924 / £16,475 (this can be sponsored by manufacturers, we are happy to publicize sponsored vehicles)
- 376cc Quad bike for animal feeding and security patrols: R126,550 / $9,170 / £7,083
- Trailer – 1.5 ton: R28,400 / $2,058 / £1,589
- Slasher/grass cutter (keeps the electric fences clear), Locust: R38,410 / $2,782 / £2,148
- Mobile freezer for providing additional food storage: R67,960 / $4,923 / £3,809
- Portable Generator and Welding Kit, fence repairs: R10,000 /$726 / £560
- Metal cutting machine, for fence repairs: R2,500 / $182 / £140
- Metal grinder: R1,000 / $73 / £56
- Tools: spanner set, Bobbejaan spanners, screwdriver set, pliers, side cutters: R5,080 / $369 / £285
- Food preparation gear: scales, plastic containers, brooms, mops, buckets, aprons, etc: R10,000 / $724 / £560
- First Aid kits and equipment for workshops, food preparation area, volunteer accommodation, office: R2,700 / $200 / $150
- Fire extinguishers for 6 buildings: R500 / $37 / £28
- Chainsaw for maintenance: R7,000 / $500 / £400
- 6-step aluminium A frame ladder: R1,000 / $73 / £56
Adopt an animal
As an ADI adopter, you can help us provide the ongoing care our rescued animals need, and help others waiting to be saved – from just $8/£3 per month. Available to send as a gift, adopters receive an adoption certificate and photograph of their adopted animal suitable for framing as well as our ADI Rescuer newsletter, rescue updates and ADI publications. Silver adopters also receive our special ADI Rescuer tshirt and Gold adopters an ADI rescued animal canvas print AND Rescuer tshirt! Find out more here.
Our thanks to….
- Animal Friends Insurance
- Chris and Diane Borr
- Holtzman Wildlife Foundation
- Human Investment
- Naturally Animals
- Robert R Sprague Foundation
- The Solar Centre
- Trees For Tigers USA
For supporting the ADI Wildlife Sanctuary and giving animals in need a better life.